Sunday, March 7, 2010

You Can Call Me Shelly. Or Doofus. Whatever.



Wooohooooo!


I finally found a background I really like! That's a good thing. It took all of my superpowers, but I finally did it! I really wanted something a little sexier and all, but I also wanted a three-column tablet. I found this wonderful template--it's called "Prada"--and decided that the layout was very functional and I love the color of green!

Woooohooooo again!

My name is Michelle. I've gone by "Shelly' ever since I can remember. It was a compromise between my mom and dad. He loved "Shelly", but my mom wanted my "official" first name to be a bit fancier. So it's "Michelle" on my birth certificate and "Shelly" for everything else.

I'm 28 years old. I was married for a few years, until last year when my ex and I amicably divorced. I'm bisexual and have, in the last couple of years, broadened my sexual experiences.
Those that know me from Yahoo! will laugh at that understatement.

I'm a Georgia girl, born and bred. I grew up south of Atlanta and when I was 18, enrolled in the University of Georgia (Go Dawgs!). In college, I almost exclusively dated girls, and had a few steady relationships that I still remember very fondly.

After graduating from college with my degree in pyschology, I decided to work at a day care facility until I went back to grad school. I wanted to become a child psychologist and figured working at a day care facility would give me a nice resume-builder.

I hated it. During the last couple of years of my marriage, my wonderful ex (how often do you hear that? LOL) encouraged me to not only quit that job, but to get training in a field I had a newly-discovered love for: veterinary medicine.

No, I didn't go back to become a vet. But I did train to become a veterinary technician and have been doing that for about a year.

I give a bajillion ton of credit to my ex. By that point in our marriage, it was kind of like we were roommates. We were both going through the motions, but he kept encouraging me to go so I wa happy. He could've been selfish and not wanted to pay the tuition and all that, but he didn't.

I started school again and took a part-time job at a clinic. Not much, about fifteen hours a week, just to get my feet wet. After I finished up, I stayed at this wonderful clinic and became a tech.

I love the work, but it can break your heart. Our place believes that how you help and guide pet owners through the process of losing their pet is just as important as anything else. And it can tear you up to see people lose their pets. It's horrible. We've all gone through it, but it's so painful.

I guess the one other thing that gets me about the job are the exotics. LOL I mean, I love, love, love, love rodents! But we also treat snakes! I really had to debate staying at this place when I finished my tech training! I really considered going to another place. I interviewed at one that only treated cats and dogs. But I got the vibe that they weren't as compassionate towards pet owner as my current employer.

So I talked to one of the vets about it. She explained that she really wanted me to stay. But that I couldn't avoid handling snakes and lizards. It wasn't a matter of policy as much as logistics. There are several vets there, which means lots and lots of patients. And as a tech, you go where you're needed!

But she's so cool! She invited me to dinner with her family and they had an iguana and a little garter snake as pets. And her little ten year-old daughter picked up the snake, Dusty, and said, "See Shelly? He's nice!"

Well, if a little girl can hold a snake, I could. And did. And then I held their iguana, Dilbert.

That night ended my fear of reptiles. They do require special handling, but nothing too dramatic.

Good start so far, huh?


Be back soon, I promise! Being a superhero and all, I must follow through on my commitments!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Shelly ! glad you got your own profile on here now !

Anonymous said...

hey it works i forgot to put my name on there ! pete

Super Warning!

Hi! I'm Shelly (a.k.a. "Super Shelly" in superhero land!). Thank you for coming by and visiting.

Please take note, however, that this blog is very-adult oriented and definitely not for anybody under 18 years of age. It most definitely is NSFW, needless to say.